A BRIEF HISTORY OF DALTON PARISH
Mentioned in the Doomsday Book, the greater village has held the names:-
Lower or lesser villages have been:-
The Parva settlement was the larger of the two, hence the later building of the Parish Church there.
Initially the land was owned by William de Percy (Governor of York in 1067) and William de Warrene (who was related to William the Conqueror and the builder of Conisbrough Castle).
In the early days 70% of adult men were involved in farming, as either farmers or labourers. The remainder were occupied in rural work such as farriers, carters and millers.
The majority of the population lived in Dalton Magna or the larger Dalton Parva settlement.
Families relied on water drawn from nearby springs or wells drilled into the lower coal bearing strata.
70% of the adult men were involved in farming either as farmers or labourers. The remainder were either farriers, carters or millers.
Most children attended Thrybergh School (often referred to as Whinny Hill School). The school comprised of six classrooms and the Headmasters were Armitage and Berry.
(Dalton Life and Times by J.